Move Into The Flow of YOUR Life…
Disclaimer: if you do NOT believe in destiny or any sort of universal order that allows for a higher power, please refrain from reading further. Also, please be advised- these are the caffeine driven musings of a former philosophy major and are not intended to be taken seriously scientifically.
Ask yourself a question. Do you feel like you are in the flow?
By that I mean, do you feel that, at this particular time in your life, you are moving WITH the universe’s intended plans for your life, rather than against them? Are you happy? Are you feeling fulfilled? Granted, I’ve never surfed a day in my life; in fact, I can barely swim, but I’ve spent a lot of time WATCHING surfers (in a very non-creepy way, of course), as well as a lot of time thinking about the best routes to happiness. Over the years, I’ve learned that the attitude and skills one naturally develops to be a strong (and safe) surfer are very applicable to living a life of maximum happiness on dry land.
So allow me to offer a few pieces of practical surfing wisdom that just might help you move into the flow of YOUR life…
- Push through: Catching a wave and moving towards your best possible self may require you to struggle a little bit. You might even need to suffer a little bit. It’s all part of the process, it won’t last forever and it will make you a better person for it. Developing the necessary trust in yourself and knowing that you have the skills to persevere and succeed- will help you endure whatever is necessary. Anything worth doing requires some effort and grit.
- Every wave is different: You need to approach each wave with wisdom, humility and respect. Life is the same. Every experience life seems to hurl at you is an offering, an opportunity. You can either take it or leave it, but you can always learn from it. Each wave, each experience is a new chance to thrive, a new chance to take a new route towards your destination…but…
- Have a little patience: Not all the waves are meant for you. Trust that your wave will come and it will be EPIC. Developing a little discrimination in life will help you get over that dreaded FOMO – life will give you the experiences you NEED when you need them. You can’t do everything, you can’t be everywhere – and you can’t compare your wave to anyone else’s.
- Learn to flow and let go: This whole waves/life analogy continues. By their very nature, waves are always changing, always moving forward and you always have the choice to move with them, to lightly ride atop the waves. Flow with it, ride the tide – and you will have no trouble getting to shore.
- Life is about the present moment: Surfing teaches you to be focused on what is right in front of you. You learn to trust your intuition. Surfing and life will give you profound joy, as well as deep suffering. It’s a fact. It can’t be avoided. Wisdom is knowing that both the joy and the suffering will pass. The only place to take refuge is in the present moment.
- You are one with nature: Developing a respectful, even sacred relationship with nature is a critical component to happiness. Surfing is all about communion with nature. It is a symbiosis that allows for trust and surrender to reveal themselves in us. Surfing is, perhaps, the purest physical union man can have with nature, in that there can be no attempt to achieve dominance over a wave. The ocean will win every time – but with flow and trust, you can find and ride the waves that are right for you.